Sunday 26 February 2017

seriouswordsandtheirmeaning(s)

I had quite a wonderful meeting today with Dr Malcolm Longair which turned into something that happens quite rarely in my life a meaningful, challenging, fruitful tutorial.  The experience heightened my sense of responsibility around the language I use and caused me to reflect on the slippage of meaning available for and used by an artist but not a scientist. I have been thinking about the idea of principle  1. a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning. 2. a general scientific theorem or law that has numerous special applications across a wide field. From the late 14c meaning origin, source, beginning; a rule of conduct. Very different from belief, I feel that there is a link but the gap between the two is intriguing. While I am in this zone it is interesting to consider the relationship between an axiom and a rule. This idea of the gap of meaning is manifesting itself within the objects and animations I am making currently that show the movement between two states. Coming from crystallography and the process of categorisation through symmetry operations the pieces mirror the space of mental linguistic gymnastics that is used to shift or transfer from one word or state to another, a translation of sorts. 

I feel today has been a transit point - there are many stages or phases to a project. This one has purposely set out within its structure to try and break from my conventions by embedding within it notions of not knowing as a route map. I feel it is now time to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment